December 2, 2021 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm America/Phoenix
Join ArizOTA’s Teaching & Learning SIS on Thursday, December 2, as Dr. Robert Scales provides training on using motivational interviewing for promoting healthful behavior in the rehab setting.
Traditional approaches to patient care often rely on advice giving and direct persuasion. This can easily lead to confrontation and may result in resistance (dissonance) and a lack of harmony between the clinician and patient. Motivational interviewing (MI) is an alternate method of communication that has gained empirical support as an effective option to counsel patients who are ambivalent or not ready to adopt healthful behaviors. There is demonstrated success with individuals recovering from drug and alcohol addiction. Adaptations to medical settings have been effective in improving a wide range of health behaviors, including those that are promoted in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
After this 2-hour presentation, participants will be able to:
- Recognize potential pitfalls of persuasive communication tactics in clinical consultations.
- Define the goal, mindset and primary objective of MI.
- Identify the key components of MI and how they can be used to lower dissonance and promote behavior change.
- Practice fundamental MI skills that can be applied to a variety of clinical settings.
- Learn how to practice the skills of MI independently or in small groups.
- Identify tools that can be used to assess MI skills.
- Identify strategies to model MI and mentor others for ongoing skill development.
About the Speaker
Robert Scales, Ph.D. is a Mayo Clinic Assistant Professor of Medicine and the Director of Cardiac Rehabilitation. His primary research focus is effective communication in the healthcare setting. He was the Lead Consultant on a National Institutes for Health funded study to investigate methods of teaching MI in an academic physical therapy program. Currently, he is Principle Investigator in a multi-site medical education research trial to evaluate the effect of online learning to teach effective communication and innovation in PM&R. Dr. Scales is an experienced MI trainer and a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers.
When: Thursday, December 2, 2021 from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Cost: FREE for ArizOTA Members AND Non-ArizOTA Members
CEUs: This 2-hour CEU event is free to all who attend. CEU certificates will be emailed to you within three weeks of event date.
Registration will close at noon the day of the event.
Questions? Contact the Teaching & Learning SIS at firstname.lastname@example.org.